About basal cell carcinoma
Have you or someone you care about been diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma? If so, you are certainly in good company. This is the most common type of skin cancer, affecting over 4 million Americans each year.
A skin cancer diagnosis can be scary, but luckily basal cell carcinoma is fairly mild and highly treatable, especially when caught early. Your dermatologist can help determine an appropriate treatment plan to counteract this skin cancer.
Diagnosis of skin cancer
Basal cell carcinoma is usually diagnosed via a visual inspection from your dermatologist that is confirmed with tissue tests. This particular type of skin cancer, often abbreviated as BCC, may manifest in one or more ways. A BCC skin cancer may look like:
- An open sore or wound that doesn’t heal
- A red patch or irritated area of skin
- A shiny bump or nodule on the surface of the skin
- A pink growth with an elevated border
- A scar-like area that appears without a previous wound
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is a good idea to see your dermatologist right away for evaluation.
Treatment for basal cell carcinoma
There are several different treatment options for BCCs, and the one that your dermatologist chooses will depend on factors like the type of growth, the size of the growth, its location, and how far the cancer has advanced.
Some of the common treatment options for BCC skin cancer include:
- Mohs surgery- A tissue sparing procedure that has a high success rate for removing skin cancer with a minimum of damage to surrounding healthy cells
- Excisional surgery- Surgical removal of the affected area
- Curettage and electrodesiccation- Best for small spots, this consists of the affected area being scraped off the skin, and the wound then sealed with an electrocautery needle.
- Topical treatments- in early or mild cases, a topical application can take care of the BCC.
Finding a Charlotte NC area skin cancer dermatologist
If you have basal cell carcinoma, or think you are at risk to develop this common skin cancer, you may be on the hunt for a qualified and experienced dermatologist. If you live in or around Charlotte, NC, consider speaking with the experts at Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte. The experienced team can help with every step of your skin cancer journey, from screening and diagnosis through surgery, if required. Trust your care to an experienced physician- Dr. Deborah Nixon and her team are well trained all aspects of dermatology, including medical, surgical, and cosmetic care.
Don’t wait any longer to seek treatment if you are suffering from, or susceptible to, basal cell carcinoma. Contact the expert team at Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte today to schedule your appointment.