Xeomin is a new alternative to Botox Cosmetic. It is helpful for movement lines in the glabella, forehead and Crow’s feet. It may work in patients where Botox no longer seems to have the same effect. It is also a less expensive alternative to Botox Therapeutic for hyperhidrosis (excess sweating).
XEOMIN® is made through a unique precision manufacturing process that isolates the therapeutic component of the molecule and removes the “accessory proteins” that don’t play an active role in treatment. XEOMIN® is a highly purified neurotoxin.
How Does XEOMIN® Work?
Frown lines form when facial expressions are made as the muscle under the skin contracts. Over time, as your skin ages, these repeated expressions cause lasting frown lines. Neurotoxins, such as XEOMIN®, are prescription medications that block the release of chemicals that cause these muscle contractions. So frown lines are softened.
XEOMIN® (incobotulinumtoxinA) is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to temporarily improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines) in adults.
XEOMIN® is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used:
• to treat the abnormal head position and neck pain that happens with cervical dystonia
• (CD) in adults.
• to treat abnormal spasm of the eyelids (blepharospasm) in adults who have had prior treatment with onabotulinumtoxinA (BOTOX).
• to improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines) in adults for a short period of time (temporary).
It is not known whether XEOMIN® is safe or effective in children.
Do not take XEOMIN® if you:
• are allergic to XEOMIN® or any of the ingredients in XEOMIN®.
• had an allergic reaction to any other botulinum toxin products such as rimabotulinumtoxinB (MYOBLOC®), onabotulinumtoxinA (BOTOX®, BOTOX® COSMETIC), or abobotulinumtoxinA (DYSPORT®).
• have a skin infection at the planned injection site.
Before you take XEOMIN® tell your doctor about all your medical conditions, including
• have a disease that affects your muscles and nerves (such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease], myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton syndrome).
• have allergies to any botulinum toxin product
• have had any side effect from any other botulinum toxin in the past
• have a breathing problem, such as asthma or emphysema
• have a history of swallowing problems or inhaling food or fluid into your lungs (aspiration)
• have bleeding problems
• have drooping eyelids
• have plans to have surgery
• have had surgery on your face
• are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if XEOMIN® can harm your unborn baby.
• are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if XEOMIN® passes into breast milk.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and
nonprescription medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements.
Using XEOMIN® with certain other medicines may cause serious side effects. Do not start any new medicines until you have told your doctor that you have received XEOMIN® in the past.
Especially tell your doctor if you:
• have received any other botulinum toxin product in the last four months
• have received injections of botulinum toxin such as rimabotulinumtoxinB (MYOBLOC®), onabotulinumtoxinA (BOTOX®, BOTOX® COSMETIC) and abobotulinumtoxinA (DYSPORT®) in the past. Be sure your doctor knows exactly which product you received. The dose of XEOMIN® may be different from other botulinum toxin products that you have received.
• have recently received an antibiotic by injection
• take muscle relaxants
• take an allergy or cold medicine
• take a sleep medicine
• take a blood thinner medicine
How will I receive XEOMIN®?
• XEOMIN® is a shot (injection) that your doctor will give you.
• XEOMIN® is injected into your affected muscles.
• Your doctor may change your dose of XEOMIN® until you and your doctor find the best dose for you.
When will I see results from a XEOMIN® Cosmetic treatment?
Within 4-7 days, you may see a marked improvement in the moderate to severe frown lines between your brows. Lines continue to improve for up to a month, and results can last for up to 4 months. Results may vary.
How long does XEOMIN® Cosmetic last?
Results from treatment with XEOMIN® Cosmetic can last for up to 4 months. If you discontinue treatment, the frown lines between your brows gradually will look like they did before treatment.
Is treatment with BOTOX® Cosmetic painful?
Discomfort is usually minimal and brief. Prior to injecting, your physician may choose to numb the area with a cold pack or anesthetic cream. The entire procedure takes approximately 10 minutes. Many people are in and out of the physician’s office without downtime following BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment.
Will my facial expressions continue to look natural?
Although the results are visible, a treatment with XEOMIN® Cosmetic will not radically change your facial appearance or make you look as if you “had work done.” The muscle activity that causes frown lines between the brows is simply reduced, so you can still frown or look surprised without the wrinkles and creases between your brows.
What will happen to the frown lines between my brows if I choose not to continue treatments?
If you do not continue treatments, the moderate to severe frown lines between your brows will gradually look like they did before treatment.
What are the possible side effects of XEOMIN®?
• XEOMIN may cause serious side effects including allergic reactions. Symptoms of an allergic reaction to XEOMIN® may include: itching, rash, redness, swelling, wheezing, asthma symptoms, or dizziness or feeling faint. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you get wheezing or asthma symptoms, or if you get dizzy or faint.
The most common side effects of XEOMIN® include:
• dry mouth
• discomfort or pain at the injection site
• neck pain
• muscle weakness
• eye problems, including: double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, swelling of your eyelids, and dry eyes. Reduced blinking can also occur. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have eye pain or irritation following treatment.
Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
What are the ingredients in XEOMIN®?
Active ingredient: incobotulinumtoxinA