Dermatologists recommended skin care
Dermatologists constantly remind their patients about the importance of changing their skincare regimen with the seasons. Most people are more keenly aware of their skin condition when they wear less clothing in the summer, but we need to pay attention year-round to keep their skin healthy. We recommend that you consider the following strategies to keep your skin healthy in every season.
Spring skin care
The goal for Spring is to help your skin recuperate from the harsh winter season, and prepare it for spending more time outdoors. Here are a few Spring-time tips:
- Add the oncoming fresh fruits and veggies into your diet. You will naturally absorb nutrients that keep your skin healthy. For example, berries and green-leafy vegetables are high in vitamin C, which can help you achieve glowing skin. Vitamin A, another nutrient that benefits both your skin and your eyes, can be found in salmon, sweet potatoes, and cantaloupe.
- Because the Spring is a time of changing weather, wear layers to warm up or cool down. Carry gloves with you to protect your hands during cooler days.
Summer demands on skin
Summer is when we spend the most time outside, and the time of year when we show most of our skin. The biggest challenge is to prevent excessive exposure to the sun’s rays. Here’s how to achieve this:
- Choose protective clothing to keep your skin safe from the sun’s UV rays.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat that covers the tops of the ears and the back of the neck.
- Avoid sunburn. If you get too much sun, apply a lotion with Aloe Vera, or use pure Aloe Vera to soothe burned skin.
- Never use lotions that contain benzocaine, lidocaine or petroleum. These products can irritate sunburned skin.
Autumn tips for healthy skin
As summer turns into fall, protect your skin with these tips:
- During this season you will want to exfoliate your skin to remove dead skin cells before winter. Ask your dermatologist to recommend the appropriate exfoliating.
- Protect your hands by applying a moisturizer after every hand wash and before you go to bed.
- If you used a light, lotion-style moisturizer in the spring and summer, switch to a heavier cream.
- Just as in the Spring, wear gloves as the weather turns cooler.
Care for skin in Winter
Here are some crucial ways to keep your skin healthy during the coldest months. The goal is to prevent dry, itchy skin before it happens:
- Wash your face with a mild cleanser only once a day, preferably in the evening.
- Protect your lips with a lip balm to keep them moist and supple.
- Take baths or showers using warm water instead of hot water. Limit your time in the tub or shower to 5-10 minutes.
- Monitor and increase the humidity in your home, particularly where you sleep.
One of Charlotte’s best dermatologists
Dermatologists specialize in helping you avoid problems with your skin, hair, or hands. Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte can provide high quality and innovative treatment in a caring and professional environment. Dr. Nixon is a board-certified dermatologist whose dedication, experience, and knowledge will provide the best possible treatment for your cosmetic concerns.
Their range of services includes medical, cosmetic, and surgical dermatology; including removal of skin cancer. In addition to Halo by Sciton, they provide a full range of cosmetic offerings such as skin tightening, fat reduction, chemical peels, Botox treatments, microdermabrasion, and more. Treatment is available for both adult and pediatric patients. Call Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte today; for a skin care evaluation and analysis.