Understanding dry skin
Dermatologists in the Charlotte area want you to be aware that dry skin season is just around the corner. Are you concerned about dry, flaking, or scaling skin? When there is no evidence of inflammation, the condition can be reduced or avoided with a proper skin care regimen. Dry skin most commonly appears on the shins, hands, and even on the sides of the abdomen. It is not unusual for dry skin to cause itching in the affected areas. Our skin tends to dry out more during the winter months, when the humidity is low. Skin care is important because extensively dry skin can lead to dermatitis or eczema. Consider the following tips from a dermatologist to prevent a dry skin condition:
General cleansing tips
- Avoid extremely hot water. Take lukewarm baths or showers
- Limit your baths and showers to 5 to 10 minutes
- Applying a moisturizer while your skin is still damp after drying off or washing your hands
- Use body soaps ad hand soaps that contain a moisturizer
- Change over to heavier creams or ointments during the winter months
Sun protection tips
- Avoid peak hours when the suns rays are strongest (between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.)
- Wear wide-brimmed hats, sun glasses, and long-sleeved shirts
- Use generous amounts of sunscreen, reapplying it every 2 to 3 hours.
- Choose sunscreens that have a sun protection factor greater than SPF30
- Use sunscreens that provide UVA and UVB protection.
- Avoid tanning beds altogether
Care for acne-prone skin
- Choose a cleanser specially formulated for acne
- Clean your face gently. Trauma to the breakouts may worsen the condition, or cause acne scars
- Avoid the use of harsh, mechanical scrubbing devices
- Do not pop pimples or pick lesions
- Be sure to choose a light, non-comedogenic moisturizer which will not cause acne
- Use oil-free, non-comedogenic foundation. Heavy makeup and other cosmetic products tend to block pores, the most common cause for acne
Be aware that smoking has also been shown to speed up that drying and aging of skin. To stop smoking is important for good skin health. Everything begins with good nutrition and hydration. A well-balanced diet allows the skin to get the nutrition it needs to repair damage from the sun and other environmental elements.
One of Charlotte’s best dermatologists
If you seek to avoid problems with your skin, hair, or nails, Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte can provide high quality and innovative treatment in a caring and professional environment. Dr. Nixon is a board-certified dermatologist whose dedication, experience, and knowledge will provide the best possible treatment for your cosmetic concerns.
Their range of services includes medical, cosmetic, and surgical dermatology; including removal of skin cancer. In addition to Halo by Sciton, they provide a full range of cosmetic offerings such as skin tightening, fat reduction, chemical peels, Botox treatments, microdermabrasion, and more. Treatment is available for both adult and pediatric patients. Call Dermatology Specialist of Charlotte today for a skin care evaluation and analysis.