Living with rosacea flare-ups during winter in Charlotte
Rosacea flare-ups during winter, it is a skin condition that is characterized by redness that forms across the nose and cheeks. You will need to consult with a board-certified dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment. Patients can help control their condition, and prevent it from getting worse, by identifying and avoiding the things that cause their rosacea to flare. Consider the following precautions for rosacea sufferers.
Always think sun protection
Even in the middle of winter, it only takes a few minutes of sunlight on rosacea-prone skin, to create uncontrollable flushing and redness.
- Dermatologists recommend that everyone who has rosacea use a gentle, broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher every day.
- In addition to sunscreen, wear a wide-brimmed hat whenever you are out in the sunshine and mid-day heat.
- When participating in outdoor activities, you will need to plan ahead so that you can avoid overheating.
- Try to schedule your outdoor chores and activities in the early morning, or during the evening hours when it is cooler.
Use the right skin products
If your face burns, stings, or itches when you use certain skin or hair care products this is a sign that they are irritating your skin, which will cause rosacea to flare.
- Avoid any skin and hair care products that contain menthol, camphor, or sodium lauryl sulfate.
- Consult with a Charlotte dermatologist, who can give you a skincare plan for rosacea, and who will recommend the appropriate products.
- It is imperative that you consistently use the medications prescribed to treat your rosacea.
In addition to prescribed medications, your dermatologist can recommend a number of cosmeceutical agents that are available, and that are specifically designed to prevent rosacea flares.
Board-certified dermatologist in Charlotte, NC
If you seek to avoid problems with your skin, hair, or nails, Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte can provide high quality and innovative treatment in a caring and professional environment. Dr. Nixon is a board-certified dermatologist whose dedication, experience, and knowledge will provide the best possible treatment for your cosmetic concerns.
Their range of services includes medical, cosmetic, and surgical dermatology; including removal of skin cancer. In addition to Halo by Sciton, they provide a full range of cosmetic offerings such as skin tightening, fat reduction, chemical peels, Botox treatments, microdermabrasion, and more. Treatment is available for both adult and pediatric patients. Call Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte today for a skincare evaluation.