Acne treatment during winter in Charlotte NC
Acne treatment during winter breakouts appears to be more frequent. In fact, studies have shown that most acne patients can have a clear complexion in the summer and fall; yet, experience moderate to severe acne during the winter season. One of the main reasons that our skin tends breakout in cold weather may have to do with sebum production. Sebum is a natural oil secreted by small glands in the skin. The purpose of sebum is to keep your skin properly moist and supple. If too much is produced, this can lead to acne breakouts.
Acne on the face
Our forehead, nose, and chin contain more of these sebum-producing glands than any other part of our body. The dryer the environment, the more sebum our skin will produce, and the greater our chance of experiencing breakouts, and infection. Many fail to realize that winter is the driest time of the year. Hence, for people with acne, the winter season is a cause for concern. The cold temperatures combined with low humidity and dry air can cause inflammation, another factor for acne formation.
Tips to reduce your risk for breakouts in winter
- Start by asking your dermatologist to recommend an oil-free skin moisturizer. Apply it right after your bath or shower while the skin is still damp. The right moisturizer can help prevent your skin from overreacting to the stresses of dry winter weather.
- When outside on the cold and wind, cover your face with a scarf or some other form of protection. Cold and windy conditions can take the moisture out of your skin and promote inflammation.
- Use a mild skin cleanser and avoid exfoliating scrubs. Over-washing and exfoliation can increase the dryness that is caused by winter conditions.
- Resist the temptation to clean your skin more frequently during periods of breakouts.
- If you are taking medications for your acne, don’t stop.
- Talk to your doctor or dermatologist if you are experiencing emotional stress during the holidays. Stress can also trigger a breakout.
Acne treatment at Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte
If you are seeking solutions for problems acne treatment during winter, Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte can provide a safe, effective, and non-invasive treatment. Dr. Nixon is a board-certified dermatologist whose dedication, experience, and knowledge will provide the best possible treatment for your skin, hair, and cosmetic concerns.
Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte also offer medical, cosmetic, and surgical dermatology; including removal of skin cancer. In addition to chemical peels, they provide a full range of cosmetic offerings such as skin tightening, fat reduction, Botox treatments, microdermabrasion, and more. They are equipped for the treatment of both adult and pediatric patients. Call their office today for a complimentary consultation to determine your acne treatment needs.