Hair care in the winter
Ballantyne dermatologists understand that winter weather can be harsh on every part of your body.
Winter season is upon us, and we thought you might appreciate some simple and effective tips that will keep you ahead of winter’s traumatic effects on your hair. Cold air and low humidity not only dry out your skin, but it is also very hard on your hair. If your hair is starting to feel dry and brittle, then consider the following tips to help you repair your damaged winter hair. Remember, the way you wash your hair, and the products you use, can make a big difference in your ability to maintain smooth, shiny hair.
- Wash oily hair more frequently; how often you wash your hair should be related to how much oil your scalp produces. If your scalp is oily, you may need to wash it as often as once a day.
- Chemically treated hair should be washed less frequently.
- Conversely, if your scalp makes less oil, you may not need to shampoo as often.
- Flakes in your hair may be a sign that you are not shampooing enough. This is a leading cause of dandruff and other scalp issues.
- When washing your hair, it is important to concentrate primarily on cleaning the scalp, rather than washing the entire length of your hair.
- Washing only your hair can create unmanageable hair that is dull and coarse.
- Use conditioner or a 2-in-1 shampoo. Regular use of a conditioner can significantly improve the look of damaged or weathered.
- Conditioner also improves hair strength and offers some protection from harmful UV rays.
- Conditioner should be used primarily on the tips of the hair, because conditioners can make fine hair look limp.
- It is important to choose a shampoo and conditioner that is formulated specifically for your hair type.
- Protect your hair when swimming in chlorine water by wetting and conditioning your hair before swimming. Wear a tight-fitting swim cap and use a shampoo that is specially formulated for swimmers.
If you have more specific questions about caring for your hair, make an appointment to see a dermatologist.
Hair and skin care in Charlotte, NC
Looking for a Ballantyne dermatologist? Whether you are dealing with acne breakout, or you seek to avoid problems that make your skin look older, Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte can provide high quality and innovative treatment in a caring and professional environment. Dr. Nixon is a board-certified dermatologist whose dedication, experience, and knowledge will provide the best possible treatment for your skin, hair, and cosmetic concerns.
Their range of services includes medical, cosmetic, and surgical dermatology; including removal of skin cancer. They provide a full range of cosmetic offerings such as skin tightening, fat reduction, chemical peels, Botox treatments, microdermabrasion, and more. Treatment is available for both adult and pediatric patients. Call Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte today for a skin care evaluation and analysis.