|Broad Based Light (BBL) therapy approach to eliminating unwanted hair provides the ultimate treatment solution, “PhotoEpilation.” PhotoEpilation leaves your skin looking and feeling smoother and softer.How does PhotoEpilation work?
Without damaging the surrounding skin, controlled flashes of light penetrate the skin and are absorbed by the hair follicles. The heat damages the hair and the regenerative matrix that regrows hair, and minimizes the potential for regrowth. Because of the significantly large spot size created by this unique technology, backs, shoulders, abdomens and legs can be treated quickly. Facial areas such as the lip, chin, and beard, can be treated in minutes.Who are candidates for treatment?
Men, women, and children may be treated with BBL. Treatments can be customized according to your hair color, texture, and body location. Hair, of black, brown, and red color– can be treated. To find out if you are a candidate, please schedule a consultation.What are the benefits?
- The FDA approved this technology for permanent hair reduction.
- A customized program can be designed along with an estimate of how many treatment sessions you may need.
- Less pain and discomfort compared to other treatment methods.
- Large areas can be treated quickly.
- Chance of scarring and pigmentation changes is minimized.
What areas can be treated?
Any area of your body can be treated. The most common areas are the armpits, legs, chest and back.
How many treatments will need?
Hair has three phases of growth: active growth phase, an intermediate non-growth phase, and a resting phase with no hair follicle present. Duration of hair growth cycles vary with the location on the body. The laser can only eliminate the hair that is currently in an active growth cycle so multiple treatments (usually at least 5) are necessary over a time span (6-8 week intervals) to remove hair from most areas. Final results may not be apparent for several months post treatment.
Will my hair ever regrow?
No current laser technology causes permanent hair loss. The hairs regenerate from the bulge portion of the hair follicle. Cells here can regenerate hair from scratch. This bulge region is damaged by the laser, but probably not destroyed. Periodic maintenance treatments will be necessary to maintain your results.
What will my treatment consist of?
Our physicians in a consultation determine an BBL™ treatment plan for each new patient, accounting for location and type of hair being treatment.
What to Expect
The procedure is gentle, non-invasive, and safe. There should be minimal or no discomfort, however this varies from patient to patient . The BBL cooling device is effective in pain reduction during the treatment. An anesthetic cream applied 45 minutes prior to your treatment, may be used if so desired to minimize any treatment associated discomfort.
What is treatment like?
First, the area to be treated is cleansed, the hair is shaved, and a cool gel is applied. During treatment, our aesthetician gently applies the smooth, glass surface of the BBL™ hand piece to the skin. Through the BBL hand piece, gentle pulses of light are emitted and penetrate the skin to begin destroying the hair follicles. Each pulse may feel like a snap of a rubber band or a slight sting or pinch. Most individuals find this to be very tolerable. Your procedure may take a few minutes to half an hour depending on the size of the area to be treated and the type of the procedure performed.
What can I expect after BBL™ treatment?
Most of the hair wipes off immediately; the remaining hair falls out over a period of a week or two.
- Erythema (redness) and edema (swelling) may be seen for 4 to 6 hours following the laser treatment.
- The treated hairs may take 7 to 14 days to exfoliate and may appear to be “growing” during this time.
- Blistering can occur during the first three days following the laser procedure. Blistered areas should be treated with care, keeping the area moist with an ointment until area has healed.
- Hives may develop, usually resolving in several hours.
- Pimples may develop in the first few days after treatment. keep the areas clean and the areas should resolve in a few days.
- Change in skin color is possible if you have tanned skin. For 2-4 weeks before and after treatment, you should limit your sun exposure. This will greatly minimize the risk of complications.
How do I care for my skin after the treatment?
It is important to follow your physician’s instructions. We will recommend skin care products and provide instructions on how to use them. These will minimize your risk of inflammation or redness and ensure the shortest healing time.
- Do not rub irritated skin with a face cloth or towel. You should pat dry only.
- You should not shave the treated area for 1-3 days post treatment.
- No waxing or plucking is allowed during the course of treatment.
- Following treatment, ice may be applied to the treated area if desired.
- Medications containing aspirin or anti-inflammatories (Aspirin, Motrin, Advil, Ibuprofen, etc.) should be avoided for a couple of days before and after BBL™ treatment.
- Alcohol intake should be limited. This will help to reduce the risk of trauma and bruising.
Results depend on the amount and thickness of the treated hair as well as the hair growth cycle of the treated area. We will provide you with complete information about the post treatment care.
You will be sensitive to ultra-violet light and you must avoid direct sun exposure until fully healed. Sun tanning and tanning beds should be avoided for 1 month before and after each BBL session. A broad spectrum sunblock with zinc oxide and/ or titanium dioxide as the primary ingredients should be used on a daily basis.
Learn more about