Dark circle under the eyes
Your Charlotte dermatologist can tell you why you have developed those dark circles under your eyes. As we age, the skin that covers your eyelids gets thinner, which can lead to the blood vessels looking more obvious, and creating dark, shady areas around the eyes. Another problem may excess pigment that is also related to the aging process. Dark eyelids can also occur when there is swelling in the lower eyelids.
Focus on prevention
A skin care regimen that is focused on prevention of bags and circles under the eye can make a big difference. Good skin care begins with healthy habits according to Charlotte dermatologist. Consider some of these areas to focus on:
- Get plenty of sleep. When young people go without adequate sleep, it is fairly evident by the dark circles under their eyes the next morning. This means that it is even more important as we age. Most adults require seven to eight hours of sleep each night.
- Do you smoke? Smoking is documented to significantly accelerate the aging process. This is because chemicals in cigarette smoke are toxic to your skin cells.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. This will give your body sufficient levels of fluids to help your skin retain moisture and elasticity. You should also avoid excessively salty foods, which tend to increase fluid retention.
- Make a habit of using sunscreen. Sun damaged skin ages more quickly, and is at high risk for skin cancers. Wear good sunglasses to protect your eyes, and to avoid squinting.
- Remove makeup products before sleep. This will allow your skin to breathe, and to repair environmental damage each night.
Treatment in the Ballantyne area of Charlotte
Talk to your Charlotte dermatologist for recommendations about the best eye creams. Lumiere Bio-Restorative Eye Cream is available from your dermatologist in the Ballantyne area of Charlotte. It is an intensive line smoothing eye cream targets the delicate eye area to help hydrate and reduce the appearance of skin aging, puffiness and under eye darkness. You can also treat dark circles under the eyes with a vascular laser and/ or fillers depending on the cause of the darkened skin. Often there are several causes that need to be addressed for best results. Good skincare products can help hide dark circles and improve the texture of the skin.
Two of the best Charlotte dermatologists
If you want to avoid problems that make your skin look older, Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte can provide high quality and innovative treatment in a caring and professional environment. Dr. Nixon and Dr. Haught are board certified dermatologists whose dedication, experience, and knowledge will provide the best possible treatment for your skin, hair, and cosmetic concerns.
Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte also offers medical, cosmetic, and surgical dermatology; including removal of skin cancer. They provide a full range of cosmetic offerings such as skin tightening, fat reduction, chemical peels, Botox treatments, microdermabrasion, and more. They provide treatment for both adult and pediatric patients. Call their office today for a skin care evaluation and analysis.