Your Ballantyne Dermatologist addressing skin conditions
The best dermatologists in Charlotte know that the quality of your skin affects how you feel, and that can affect how you perform. Unfortunately, athletes are used to dealing with traumatic injuries, and often, they see skin problems as minor hindrances. Athletes are often unaware that there is a team of experienced skin care professionals, consisting of board certified dermatologists, dermatology physician assistants, and master aestheticians who specialize in a range of services addressing all possible skin conditions. The reality is that athletes are at an increased risk of skin infections, which can have serious and long term consequences. To help prevent infections, athletes, coaches and athletic trainers can follow these tips from dermatologists:
- Keep cuts and scrapes clean – Cover wounds with a bandage until healed. Cuts or scrapes are open portals for germs to cause infection and other skin problems.
- Take action to prevent blisters – Place padding in shoe areas that routinely blister. Protect your feet and hands by using specialized gloves and wearing moisture wicking socks. Understand the importance of making sure that your footwear fits properly.
- Wear moisture-wicking clothes – To help keep your skin dry, preventing the growth of unhealthy microorganisms on the skin.
- Wear sandals or flip-flops in the locker room – This will greatly reduce your chance of contracting athlete’s foot or some other skin condition on the feet.
- Shower regularly, especially after every practice and/or game – Resist the temptation to use antimicrobial soaps. Simple, moisturizing soap without fragrance is ideal for the entire body.
- Do not share personal care items – It is unhealthy to share towels, soaps, razors and other personal care items.
- Regularly wash workout clothes and towels – It is tempting to skip washing workout clothing and towels, since we tend to get “dirty” in them anyway. Make sure that you also clean sports bags and back packs that are used to carry soiled gear.
- Disinfect equipment and protective gear, daily – This is an ideal solution for avoiding staph and other skin infections.
- Perform regular skin checks – Check your skin daily, especially if you participate in high-impact sports, such as wrestling, football, and gymnastics. Look for even the slightest changes, such as cuts, sores, swelling, blisters, and callouses. Report any changes to an athletic trainer or your dermatologist.
Ballantyne area dermatologists
If you do not receive timely treatment, skin infections will only get worse. If you notice anything on your skin that itches, burns, is red or swollen, make an appointment to see a board-certified dermatologist or sports medicine doctor. Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte can provide high quality and innovative treatment in a caring and professional environment. Dr. Nixon and Dr. Haught are board certified dermatologists whose dedication, experience, and knowledge will provide the best possible treatment for your skin, hair, and cosmetic concerns.
Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte also offers medical, cosmetic, and surgical dermatology; including removal of skin cancer. They provide a full range of cosmetic offerings such as skin tightening, fat reduction, chemical peels, Botox treatments, microdermabrasion, and more. They provide treatment for both adult and pediatric patients. Call their office today for a skin care evaluation and analysis.