Rosacea is a chronic skin condition that affects somewhere around 14 million people in the United States. It is characterized by redness of the skin and flushing that is caused by prominent blood vessels on the face. Rosacea commonly occurs in older people. Ballantyne dermatologist wants to discuss some of the known triggers for this bothersome condition. Factors such as exposure to sunlight, alcohol, spicy foods, caffeine, heat, and stress.
The exact causes of rosacea are not fully understood, but it is commonly believed that the presence of an abnormal protein in the skin of rosacea patients may contribute to the disease. What we do know is that managing the skin condition can be a challenge for people who have rosacea. All of the above triggers can affect some people differently than others. We hope to offer some guidance as to how rosacea sufferers, with the help of their Charlotte dermatologist, can discover the best ways to manage their condition. You could start by keeping a journal of what you eat and drink, and when your rosacea flares. This can provide your doctor with valuable information that can help you discover which foods and beverages may aggravate your rosacea.
Consider the following Ballantyne dermatologist tips for managing rosacea:
- Avoid the heat, extremely hot temperatures can often aggravate rosacea.
- Protect your face from the wind and cold. Be sure that the material that you use to cover your face is not made of wool, or a fabric that feels rough to the touch.
- Always wear sunscreen, because even limited exposure to the sun can cause rosacea to flare.
- Choose only sunscreens that contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen that has a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 30.
- Gently cleanse your skin. Avoid rigorous rubbing or scrubbing, and use a gentle cleanser.
- When using hair spray, take care to ensure that the spray does not get on your face.
- Keep your skin care routine simple, and avoid using too many products, as that may irritate the skin.
- Rosacea may be more easily treated when diagnosed early. Make an appointment to visit a board certified Ballantyne dermatologist as soon as you notice changes in your skin.
Rosacea treatment in the Ballantyne area of Charlotte
If you have questions about your skin condition, the doctors at Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte can provide high quality, innovative skin treatments, and cosmetic dermatology in a caring and professional environment. Dr. Nixon is a board certified Charlotte dermatologist whose dedication, experience, and knowledge will provide the best possible treatment for your skin, hair, and reliable cosmetic dermatology concerns.
Dermatology Specialists of Charlotte also offers medical, reliable cosmetic dermatology, and surgical dermatology; including removal of skin cancer. We provide a full range of cosmetic offerings such as skin tightening, fat reduction, chemical peels, Botox:registered: treatments, microdermabrasion, and more. We provide treatment for both adult and pediatric patients. Call our office today for a skin care evaluation and analysis of your sun damaged skin, or any other skin condition.